Sunday, August 29, 2010


This little boy has made a 180° turn the past couple months.

From the time he was born until he turned one.... Caleb was an angel baby.  He cried when he was hungry or tired or needed a diaper change.... that's it. He was such a sweet little boy and an easy baby.

Then after he turned one, he turned into an awnry little guy. He screamed for what he wanted, yet we didn't know what he wanted. He was hard.... not very fun most of the time. I hate to admit that, but he really tested my patience.  But it was those sweet moments I held onto, because deep down, Caleb was still that sweet little baby. 



A month or 2 ago, Caleb started communicating and we finally are understanding what he wants.  He has been a completely different boy. When we ask him a question, he would say, "OK"  Now he says, "Uh-huh."  Cutest thing ever. He smiles a lot more. He plays so well with Braeden and Elli. Mark and I can't get enough of him.  He entertains himself and is completely content. 

I can see him in this tree out the kitchen window and I was watching him while he climbed it.  He is a smart little one.  He pulled his bike against the tree so he could get high enough to climb it. 


Whenever the camera is out... Caleb smiles super cute and says CHEESE. He waits with that cute smile on his face until the picture is taken.  I guess he gets that from me.... I guess I liked the camera when I was little. ☺


This morning I found him outside all by himself. Perfectly happy being by himself blowing his bubbles.  


But today something happened that STILL has me surprised. I can definitely say that I believe in angels. I have seen so MANY miracles since becoming a mom and I KNOW that we are not forgotten and our little children have angels surrounding them.

But during church, Caleb decided to stinker in his diaper.  Instead of changing him in the Mother's lounge, I walked home because I had to grab his nursery snack bucket because we had the treat and it got left at home. The church is literally right behind our house. It's not a far walk at all. But after I changed Caleb's diaper, I was grabbing the bucket and I heard Caleb calling my name.  It took me a couple minutes to get upstairs after I heard him call my name.  Once I got upstairs, I was calling Caleb and he didn't answer.  The garage door was open so I ran outside and yelled him name, but I didn't see him. I panicked and ran back inside yelling his name and then checked in the back yard. Still no Caleb. I ran back to the front even more nervous now and decided to run to the church to see if he was there. (I took my shoes off before changing his diaper so I was running with no shoes on the hot ground)  After getting to the church and not seeing him anywhere in the parking lot or by the door, I was praying my heart out (and the 2 talks I had just heard in sacrament were on prayer.... ironic)  I happened to have my phone in my hand so I texted Mark and told him that I couldn't find Caleb. When he responded, I had already ran back home. But his response was, "He's here" I stopped and couldn't believe what had happened. I asked him if he was serious and he said yes.  Then I told him that Caleb had just walked back from home to the church all by himself. Mark was so confused.  Mark didn't know I was going home to change his diaper. He thought I had changed it at church and that I let Caleb in to sit by him and I was right behind him.  My mom and dad were sitting on the back row of the chapel and saw a lady open the door for someone and in walks Caleb. Caleb had walked in, turned down an isle, didn't recognize anyone, turned around and walked towards the front, looked at everyone in the row until he saw Mark.  I was really confused after I found out Caleb was at the church. How did he walk to the church without me?? How did he not get hit by a car backing out in the parking lot??  How did he open the door to the church??  What were the looks on people's faces as this little 2 year old is walking in from  outside to the chapel?? What was going on in Caleb's little mind as he is doing all of this??  I got back to the church as sacrament was ending. I told Mark what had happened. I told my mom and dad. I was totally sweating from running back and forth (thank goodness it was a nice day today and in the 90s)  I had to hurry to the Primary room and lead the music.  After the primary kids went to class, I was telling the ladies in there about what had happened and one of the ladies said, "Oh, i was wondering why he was standing outside the church by himself, I opened the door for him."  So that answers that question. 

I'm assuming Caleb thought I left him at home, so he decided to walk to church because he knew his dad was there. So that's where he was headed. Such a crazy thing to think about a 2 year old walking by himself to church. So many things could have gone wrong.... but we were definitely watched over. So glad his angels stuck with him today!


I absolutely LOVE this little guy! I love our time we have during the day while Braeden and Elli are at school. He constantly comes up to me and hugs my leg and says, "Mommy" I love listening to the way he tries to say new words. He is so smart and knows what he wants. I'm glad he can finally voice his opinion. He is such a joy to our family and everyone loves our little Chubs. 

2 comments:

Mel said...

That's scary! Glad he made is OK!
It's the greatest day ever when they can finally communicate....makes life easier for everyone!

McElprangs said...

Holy cow! I would've been freaking out too! So glad he got there safely and so great that he knows his way to church all on his own. What a smart little cookie:)